Monday, December 12, 2005

Bob Bryn's hole in one

I had the pleasure today of participating in the second-hole-in I've ever witnessed. The first one I saw was the first one my playing partner in the Windword (Bodega Harbour Men's Invitational), Ed Vail. Now Ed is one of the best amateur golfers I know and had never had a hole-in-one in 40 years of playing golf and he's a 2 index. So we're on the 7th hole at BHGC (135 yards or so) and he's toying with the idea of a 7 iron. It's a very difficult hole to judge: big elevated tee, across a canyon, into a crossing wind, green has two tiers, long and you're dead, left and your dead, etc. I tell him it's an 8. So he goes with the 8, one hop into the cup!

Today, I'm playing with 81 year old Bob Bryn (my landlord no less) at Laguna Lake GC and we get to the 4th hole (85 yards) and I've been on fire, I lob a 53 degree sandwedge and it hits the pin and rolls 5' away. One of the other guys in the group tells Bob to "get inside Craig". So I say to Bob just as he's about to take a swing with a 9 iron, "hit the pin a little lower than I did." Sure enough he does and it goes in. Don't ask me if I made the birdie putt.

Congrats Bob, we'll all read about in the Tribune soon.

No comments: