Monday, October 30, 2006

has Baseball lost it?

Now don't get me wrong, I still love baseball but . . . .

It hasn't been that long since the World Series was decided but here are some interesting observations, people won't even watch baseball in high definition from their family room couches anymore. This year's TV ratings for the final game were the worst ever and less than half of the ratings 15 years ago. There are way too many commercials.
Remember when you used to sneak your portable radio into class; put in your desk, keep the volume low and then put your head on the desk so you could pretend you were napping and listen to the World Series game? It didn't matter who was playing it was the best teams playing on the grandest of stages.
Remember when people cared so much about the World Series that the smallest paper in the land would devote a weeks worth of rich stories about games? Last Saturday's Louisville Courier-Journal, a venerable publication in a town that is only a 4 hour drive from St Louis covered the entire championsip in one small wire service story with only 6 paragraphs on the front page!

I'll follow up on this post with another tomrrow . . . .

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I watched in a Sports Bar. 150 people, 3 tv's. Does that count as 150 or 3?
greg floor

Anonymous said...

Most of the people I know will record it so than can edit the commercials. If its being recorded would that count as being watched? No clue here. I do think baseball lost some fans due to the strike and they never came back with renewed dedication. I'm one of them. I been offered tickets and free parking and not gone lately. Hey, but then again, I'm a Giants semi-fan...

Anonymous said...

I am old enough and female enough to remember when I thought the World Series was when another team got to play the Yankees. I just recently figured out that there are two different leagues, but none the less I watched the playoffs games and the whole series rooting for St. Louis all the way. No real reason, I was just born there. I think people are not interested in baseball for two reasons: the strike and too much trading. It is hard to build loyalty to a team when the players are different each year.