Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Remembering William F Buckley, Jr

It's been a little while now since Buckley passed away and I've been absorbing some of the media reviewing his life, wit, philosophy. Charlie Rose had a wonderful hour long program reviewing the 17 times that Buckley appeared on his show the night he passed away; if you can find it, watch it.

I've never read one of Buckley's books but I have subscribed to National Review and I rarely missed Firing Line. Buckley was funny, confronting, fascinating, consistent to the end and so smart. I really liked his used of the English language.

Then I found something on youtube that seemed to really align Buckley with me in which he said on Meet the Press in 1965, "I'd rather be governed by the first 2,000 people in the Boston telephone directory than the 2,000 people on the faculty of Harvard University."

Thank you Bill Buckley for living the great life.

No comments: