Thursday, October 15, 2009

8" of rain during the storm

I couldn't believe my eyes as I looked at the bucket full of water outside yesterday morning after the skies cleared. I took my measuring tape and pulled out 12" or so and stuck it into the bucket and yep, 8" of rain had accumulated in the bucket. Now, the skeptic in me says that this isn't the way to measure rainfall but how else could this be explained? The bucket was not under a tree or an eve, the only way the bucket could have filled was by random raindrops. Then, this morning the paper revealed the confirmation . . . . San Luis Obispo did indeed receive 7.9" of rain during the storm. The real confirmation is that our lake rose about 4' . . . yes FOUR FEET. Last week the gangway to the dock was at a 45 degree angle and today it's around 20 degrees!

No comments: