Sunday, April 16, 2006

interesting comment on the tech meltdown in 2000

from James Altucher at thestreet.com

"Worth noting that six years ago today, April 14, 2000, was the "tech crash" - the largest drop in Nasdaq history when it fell 355 points. I had sold my first company, Reset, to a publicly traded company that lost about 60% of its value on that day. Very unpleasant. I was trying to take another company I had started, public, but the IPO market completely died for three years. Starting around 2001-2 all my banker "friends" started telling me (when they were talking to me at all) that "the Internet is a scam" or "tech is dead". Many break-even, or even profitable, tech companies were trading for less than the cash they had in the bank. More than 200 VC firms shut down. 150,000 people lost their jobs in a 10 block radius of where my first company was (21st and 5th).

Six years ago today probably began the worst 3 year period in my life but now, looking back at it, there will probably never be another period like that where the opportunity is so immense."

No comments: